Local families recently performed good deeds at Goodman Jewish Family Services of Broward County’s kosher food pantry, The Cupboard, in Davie.

At the event, PJ Library and PJ Our Way go to The Cupboard, children of both the PJ Library and PJ Our Way of the Jewish Federation of Broward County decorated High Holidays bags that will be delivered to seniors and families in need throughout the county. The bags include food and special items for the High Holidays, and the recipients are mainly homebound seniors and Holocaust survivors. The families also brought food and stacked the shelves of the food pantry. The event also included Rosh Hashanah stories and crafts.

Stephanie Silverman Houser, director for The Cupboard, said, “We are thrilled to partner with PJ Library on another great community event.”

“We love having families come in, decorate the bags and participate in stocking the shelves. I think it’s a great family experience for them.”

Pamela Carre, Goodman JFS’ director of volunteer programs, said “I think this is a great way of teaching the kids how to give back to the community, how to make a difference and how to be really hands-on in making an impact in our clients’ lives.”

Marney Tokar, PJ Library director for the Jewish Federation of Broward County, noted that approximately a dozen PJ Library and PJ Our Way families attended the event.

“This is one of the best feel-good events that we do, not just for the kids, but for the families because they really get a chance to get involved in the whole process,” Tokar said. “They get to bring the food, they get to sort the food and they get to decorate bags that will all be distributed to the recipients of the Cupboard.”

Tokar noted that the event gives families the opportunity some time with their children to really do something with meaning.

“The kids are involved and the parents are talking to each other, so this is a wonderful opportunity for the families to connect with each other, and that’s what the PJ Library is all about. We want them to connect with each other and connect with the Jewish community.”

Danny Simon of Weston, who along with his family brought food for the Cupboard and his two sons decorated the bags, said, “This is a nice activity for my kids to get out there, give back a little bit and to know that taking a bit of your time can make a difference.”

Simon’s son Seth, 9, said, “It’s always good to help out people in need.”

Rebekah Demordo of Hollywood, who brought her young children, said, “I think having events like this where the kids can do hands-on activities makes giving tangible.”

Kim Nick of Davie, with brought her two daughters to the event, said regarding her children’s learning experience there, “They can learn about the importance of giving back and helping others who need more help.”

Goodman JFS is looking for volunteers to deliver the High Holidays bags to the clients from Sept. 4-7. The organization also delivers kosher food to seniors and families in need throughout Broward County monthly.

Visit jfsbroward.org/volunteer/ to register as a volunteer or for more information

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here