64.6 F
San Diego
Friday, April 26, 2024

City park would honor 19th century lawmaker who stood up for Jews

Members of Congregation B'nai Abraham in Hagerstown are backing the idea of a park across from the synagogue to honor Thomas Kennedy, a Washington County state lawmaker who pushed for the right of Jews...

The Davidson School at JTS and the HUC-JIR School of Education awarded major grant...

The William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education of The Jewish Theological Seminary (JTS), in partnership with the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion School of Education, will launch a second Chicago-based cohort of the Jewish...

Adding depth to Holocaust classes

One of many anti-Jewish laws the Nazi regime enacted between 1933 and 1945 prohibited Jews from owning dogs, cats, and birds. So what were German Jewish families to do with their beloved pets? This question...

San Diego Birthright Bus – Report from Shaar Ha’Negev

Going on Birthright was something that I have been contemplating partaking in ever since I first heard about it my freshmen year of college, but I always found reasons not to do it. It...

Obituary: Clementine Brodsky / Lifelong social justice activist was committed to Jewish community

When Clementine Brodsky and her husband, Allan, walked across the Roberto Clemente Bridge to attend Pittsburgh Pirates games, they often passed by a saxophonist. The Brodskys were regular Pirates fans, and after hearing the...

City Council to consider UC San Diego Hillel Center proposal

An 11-year-old proposal to build a community and religious center for Jewish students at UC San Diego is scheduled to be considered by the City Council Tuesday. The plan is to establish a temporary Hillel Center for Jewish Life...

New Jewish youth center honors respected community leader

San Antonio’s Congregation Agudas Achim broke ground Sunday on a new youth center to provide a place for area teens to gather and socialize. The Kavy Youth Center is named in honor of Cary Kavy, who died...

Springfield Council of Jewish Women awards 59 scholarships

For 59 local students, the recent Eleanor A. Dunn Memorial Scholarship Breakfast, held at the Jewish Community Center, was a special event. In all, about 100 guests were on hand to honor the recipients of...

JPRO Chicago launches new association for professionals working for Jewish organizations

Two hundred professionals from approximately 100 different Jewish organizations came together June 15 to support the launch of JPRO Chicago , an association for professionals working at and with Jewish organizations in the Chicago...

Census: 6000 less Australian Jews

THE number of Jewish people in Australia has dropped by more than six per cent in the last five years, according to Census data released this week. Statisticians have been left scratching their heads, and...