Two Palm Beach County synagogues are planning fundraising concerts. Israeli singer/songwriter Noa will perform her hit songs on Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. at Temple Emanu-El in Palm Beach, while Cantor Norman Brody sings songs from Broadway musicals, cantorial music and other genres on Feb. 18 at 3 p.m. at Temple Beth El in West Palm Beach.

Also performing will be Jewish comedienne Wendy Liebman in two shows on Feb. 16 at 8 p.m. at Boca Black Box in Boca Raton and on Feb. 17 at 8 p.m. at Aventura Center in Aventura.

Born as Achinoam Nini in Israel to a Yemenite Jewish family, the 48-year-old Noa has performed globally, recording and singing songs in Arabic, English, Hebrew, Italian, Spanish, Yemenite and Yiddish during her 24 year career in music.

“The repertoire in the concert will be varied. It will be comprised of my original songs in English and Hebrew and one song in Yemenite taught to me from my grandmother,” said Noa.

Along with her hit songs, such as “There Must Be Another Way,” Noa is also known for encouraging peace in the Middle East, collaborating with many Palestinian musicians during her career.

A major highlight of Noa’s career was performing in 1994 for Pope John Paul II at the Vatican, singing “Ave Maria” before 100,000 people.

“I have had many opportunities to bring people together through my music. It started with my famed performance at the Vatican. My performances are always a bridge between cultures and religions.”

“I have been a strong protagonist of the Israeli peace movement since the murder of Yitzhak Rabin in 1994. I have collaborated with many Palestinian artists. I have raised my voice over and over again against racism and for a peaceful resolution to our long standing conflict with the Palestinians through the two state solution,” said Noa.

“Temple Emanu-El is proud and honored to host Noa. We hope everyone will come out and enjoy a special evening of uplifting music,” said Charlie Feldberg, co-chairman of the benefit concert.

For tickets and more information, including a post-concert dessert reception at Temple Emanu-El, 190 N. County Road in Palm Beach, call 561-832-0804 or go to www.tepb.org.

Brody, who has been cantor at Temple Beth El since 1986, has sung with the Chicago and New York Opera companies.

“I do not want to reveal the surprises to what I will perform in concert, but I promise that the audience will enjoy the music,” said Brody.

In past gala concerts, Brody has sung selections from “Fiddler On The Roof,” “Phantom of the Opera” and “West Side Story,” among other musicals, as well as popular songs in English, Hebrew and Yiddish.

For tickets and more information at Temple Beth El, 2815 N. Flagler Dr. in West Palm Beach, call 561- 833-0339 or go to www.bethelwpb.com.

Liebman, known for her fast-paced delivery and sharing humorous stories about her husband, children and growing up in a Jewish neighborhood, has been on stage for more than 30 years.

“I did not grow up with that much Jewish tradition, but I did immerse myself and became informed after reading ‘The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Jewish History and Culture.’ I share all I know on stage,” said the 56-year-old comedienne.

For tickets and more information at Boca Black Box, 8221 Glades Road in Boca Raton, call 561-483-9036 or go to www.bocablackbox.com.

For tickets and more information at Aventura Center, 3385 N.E. 188 St. in Aventura, call 305-466-8002 or go to www.aventuracenter.org.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here